Department: Event Services
Supervisor: Director of Event Services
Schedule: Part time hourly. Must be available to work nights and most weekends (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays)
Pay: $16.00 per hour starting pay, incremental increases to $20.00 per hour once one year of service reached
Parking Paid parking downtown is provided. Bus passes also available.
Location: 713 Congress Avenue, Austin Texas 78701
Built in 1915, the Paramount Theatre has served Austin for more than a century. It stands next door to the State Theatre, constructed in 1935. Together, as the Austin Theatre Alliance, these spaces are acoustically more intimate, visually more appealing, and historically more significant than just about any other theatre in the region. The theatres continue to serve as anchors in the downtown area for performing arts events. The Paramount and State are the annual home to SXSW Film Festival, ATX Television Festival, and Paramount Summer Classic Film Series and many outreach programs. Additionally, we own and produce the annual two-week Moontower JFL Austin Comedy Festival. Each year, more than 275,000 people pass through our doors to attend live performing arts events and films.
We have an immediate opening for a House Manager. Ideal candidates will be passionate about customer service and have excellent communication skills. Experience working in performance venues is desired. Knowledge of basic first aid/CPR is a plus and being bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
The House Manager coordinates front of house operations and oversee the volunteer ushers during events. You will work with the Events Team, bar staff, and box office staff to provide excellent customer service and a safe environment to all patrons.
- Prepares the lobbies and house prior to opening and secures the theatre upon closing
- Supervises the volunteer ushers, including leading pre-show meetings and making volunteer assignments
- Uses the FOH Partner system (PASS) to track usher assignments and conduct
- Uses PASS to create pre and post event documents, as well as track incidents of illness, injury, or lost items
- Be informed of event details and communicate show and theatre policies to the volunteers and patrons
- Works with Production on the run of show (doors, intermissions, exit) to keep events running on schedule
- Responds to patron concerns and complaints in a professional, empathetic, and conscientious manner befitting of the Austin Theatre Alliance’s mission and reputation
- Oversees, responds to and reports incidents related to health and safety, in coordination with the Manager on Duty and the theatre’s security staff
- Acts as event safety officer and participate in evacuation plan when needed
- Resolves patron ticket issues with the Box Office
- Manages lines, ingress, and egress on events
- Communicates with the Facilities team to keep the theatre clean
- Assists with management of VIP, Meet & Greet, and signing events
- Oversees merchandise sellers and settlement
- Enforces TABC regulations. i.e., no alcohol coming into or exiting the theatre, no service to intoxicated patro
- 2+ years of proven experience in the customer service industry, preferably with a venue
- Reliable and responsible
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- General physical requirement such as standing for long periods, walking long distances, ability to walk up and traverse multiple flights of stairs, bending and constant motion is often required.
The number of shifts and hours vary depending on our show schedule. You must be available to work at least eight shifts a month. Shifts lengths vary, but most are 6 hours long, and are at night. Shifts may fall any day of the week, and occasionally on holidays.
Process: To apply for this position, please submit your resume or qualifications in an email to email@example.com with the subject line “House Manager.”